Sampler: Peddler Journal, The Childhood Issue
“Food has the power to convey sentiments that words sometimes cannot.” When I spoke to Hetty McKinnon, editor of Peddler Journal, I felt her affinity for connecting with people through food. Telling human stories through recipes, the Brooklyn-based magazine embodies her love for feeding others.
This Childhood issue sees food writers reminisce over their favourite home cooked dishes. From Israeli Borekas to Portuguese tarts, simple chow miens to a delicate “Not Shark Fin Soup” (below), the wide variety of recipes are unassuming and nostalgia-triggering. Head over to Sampler to secure a copy for 10% off and free shipping.
In this issue:
- A baker’s favourite biscuits
- The Big Breakfast, Cantonese style
- Street-side taco parties in Sioux Falls, Dakota
- A love letter to Creamettes
- And recipes for scallion pancake challah, Thai green tofu vegetable curry, breakfast noodles, banana pudding, jelly cakes and more