- 116 pages
- 27cm x 19.5cm
- Published in Bratislava, 2018
What is design? And how should it be used? According to editor-in-chief Martin Jenca the answer comes from finding “the right balance of beauty and business”, and Backstage Talks brings together a collection of design luminaries to provide their own thoughts on what they do and why they do it.
These stars of the design world first appeared together at the By Design conference, held in Bratislava in May 2017, and Backstage Talks functions as a printed digest of that meeting. Encouraging a frank and unaffected exchange, it provides a refreshing overview of life, work and design.
In this issue:
- Industrial designer Hartmut Esslinger on Facebook: “You have up to five good friends, if you’re lucky. You cannot have 10 or 50. So it’s only the data they steal.”
- Infamous illustrator Mr Bingo is characteristically open about his work, and why he doesn’t have clients
- Illustrator, toymaker and ‘visual philosopher’ James Jarvis gives an open and unguarded interview about the changes he has made through his career.
- Google design manager Jonathan Lee and Facebook executive creative director Josh Higgins reveal the design process behind products that underpin so much of our daily lives.