- 17cm x 24cm
- Published in London, 2019
Gal-dem is a London-based title created by women and non-binary people of colour. It aims to present depth and variety in a diverse collection of voices.
This fourth annual print issue has been curated around the theme of “Un/Rest”, and seeks to redefine what it means to be both restive and restful.
In this issue:
- Little Simz in conversation
- A group interview with literary stars Candice Carty-Williams, Mariam Khan, Naomi Shimada, Yasmin Rahman, Victoria Princewill, and Jay Bernard, shot for the cover by visual artist Nwaka Okparaeke
- Pena Monaghan gives insight into the surprising politics behind the Miss Tibet beauty pageant
- The once-sceptical Ruchira Sharma reconsiders her attitude toward superstitions
- Memories of childhood sleepovers
- Amita Joshi’s intergenerational retelling of the persecution suffered by Ugandan Asians who fled the country under Idi Amin, and the struggles they have faced over the last 40 years